Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Southern by the Grace of God.

"A SOUTHERN WILL TALK TO YOU LIKE THEY'VE KNOWN YOU ALL THEIR LIVES. WE SOUTHERNS ARE FRIENDLY, CHARMING, QUICK TO SMILE AND HAVE A WONDERFUL SENSE OF HUMOR."


"IF HEAVEN AINT A LOT LIKE DIXIE, THEN I DONT WANNA GO."


Amen! :) haha. I am told that i have a very thick southern "accent" or as I like to say, twang. I was born into an Appalachian family in the foothills of the Smokies. So yeah, I shouldnt talk any other way. [supposively i say "Bless" alot which is a southern term ha]. For amusement purposes, here's a lil bit of Southern for ya.

Enjoy.

SAYINGS.

A good attitude is like Kudzu - it spreads.
Wild as a peach orchard hog.
So buck toothed he could eat corn-on-the-cob through a key hole.
Slick as an eel.
Slicker than a chased greased hog.
Full as a tick.
Fat as a tub o lard.
Ol' boy's tough as whit leather.
He ran like a scalded dog.
Rough as a cob.
Just as happy as if he had good sense.
Cold as a well digger's tail.
So dull he couldn't cut hot butter with a knife.
Crazier than a run over dog.
Tougher than a one eared alley cat.
Scared my mule ( when something really startled them )
Faster than greased lightning.
Better than snuff, ain't half as dusty.
She's limber as a dishrag.
Nervous as a long-tailed cat in a room full o' rocking chairs.
So ugly she'd run a dog off a meat wagon.
Took off like Moody's goose.
As scarce as hen's teeth.
Purty as a speckled pup.
Sorry as a two dollar watch.
Plumb tuckered out.
Older than the mountains and got twice as much dust.
That's a gracious plenty ( when being offered something)
In all my born days. . .


how to speak southern.
(i just picked a few...)

Afar: In a state of combustion. "Call the far department. That house is afar."

Best: Another baffling Southernism that is usually couched in the negative. "You best not speak to Bob about his car. He just had to spend $300 on it."

Fetchin': Attractive. "That's a mighty fetchin' woman. Think I'll ask her to daints."

Fixin' to: About to. "I'm fixin' to go to the store."

Hush yo' mouth: An expression of pleased embarrassment, as when a Southern female is paid an extravagant compliment. "Honey, you're 'bout the sweetest, best-lookin' woman in Tennessee. Now hush yo' mouth, Jim Bob."

Ill: Angry, testy. "What's wrong with Molly today? She's ill as a hornet."

Pick at: To pester and annoy. "Jimmy, Ah told you not to pick at your little sister."

Sass: Another Elizabethan term derived from the word saucy, meaning to speak in an impertinent manner. "Don't sass me, young lady. You're not too old to get a whippin'."

Supper: The evening meal Southererners are having while Yankees are having dinner. "What's for supper, honey?

Wear out: An expression used to describe a highly-effective method of behavior modification in children. "When Ah get ahold of that boy, Ah'm gonna wear him out."

Yungins: Also spelled younguns, meaning young ones. "Ah want all you yungins in bed in five minutes."

GOD BLESS :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

My photo
The name is Jessica. Single mother to the most amazing litle girl. Miss Madelynn Marie. She's my world & I love her more than anything. I speak with a southern twang. I love to cook, sew, and bake. I'm a meat and potatoes kinda gal. My hair is usually not like what I wanted. I'm slighly tomboy-ish I love going truck and tractor pulls w/my dad. I love going to the drive-in. I watch movies all the time, and wouldnt mind if you wanted to join me. I'm a nocturnal son of a gun. I'm ready for a guy to sweep me off my feet. ;) anything else you wanna know, just ask